Re: Multi column range partition table

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi column range partition table
Date: 2017-07-02 17:15:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 June 2017 at 10:04, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>>
>> Alright, I spent some time implementing a patch to allow specifying
>> -infinity and +infinity in arbitrary ways. Of course, it prevents
>> nonsensical inputs with appropriate error messages.
>
> I don't think -infinity and +infinity are the right terms. For a
> string or character data type there is no -infinity and +infinity.
> Similarly for enums. We need to extend UNBOUNDED somehow to indicate
> the end of a given type in the given direction. I thought about
> UNBOUNDED LEFT/RIGHT but then whether LEFT indicates -ve side or +side
> would cause confusion. Also LEFT/RIGHT may work for a single
> dimensional datatype but not for multi-dimensional spaces. How about
> MINIMUM/MAXIMUM or UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX to indicate the extremities.

Yes, I think you're right. Also, some datatypes include values that
are equal to +/-infinity, which would then behave differently from
unbounded as range bounds, so it wouldn't be a good idea to overload
that term.

My first thought was UNBOUNDED ABOVE/BELOW, because that matches the
terminology already in use of upper and lower bounds.

Regards,
Dean