Re: psql: show only failed queries

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Samrat Revagade <revagade(dot)samrat(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: show only failed queries
Date: 2014-06-30 06:53:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 26 June 2014 11:53, Samrat Revagade Wrote:
>

> >> I am sending updated patch - buggy statement is printed via more
> logical psql_error function instead printf
>

> >Thank you for updating patch, I really appreciate your efforts.
>

> >Now, everything is good from my side.
>
> >* it apply cleanly to the current git master
>
> >* includes necessary docs
>
> >* I think It is very good and necessary feature.
>

> >If Kumar Rajeev Rastogi do not have any extra comments, then I
> think patch is ready for committer.
>

> I have reviewed this patch. Please find my review comments below:
>
> 1. Command start-up option (e.g. -a/--echo-all for --ECHO=all), for
> new functionality is not provided.

all not options entered via psql variables has psql option and psql
comment. I'll plan add new decription to --help-variables list.

If it is necessary I can add long option --echo-errors, I didn't a good
char for short option. Any idea?

> 2. New Command start-up option should be added in "psql --help" as
> well as in documentation.

depends on previous,

> Also as I understand, this new option is kind of sub-set of existing
> option (ECHO=query), so should not we display
>
> query string in the same format as it was getting printed earlier.
>
> Though I also feel that prefixing query with STATEMENT word will be
> helpful to grep but at the same time I am worried
>
> about inconsistency with existing option.

This is question. And I am not strong in feeling what should be preferred.
But still I am inclined to prefer a variant with STATEMENT prefix. Mode
with -a is used with different purpose than mode "show errors only" - and
output with prefix is much more consistent with log entry - and displaying
error. So I agree, so there is potential inconsistency (but nowhere is
output defined), but this output is more practical, when you are
concentrated to error's processing.

Regards

Pavel