Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - show longest tables
Date: 2013-07-23 04:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I agree with Robert. My tip is this: when you're in a hole, the first thing
>> to do is to stop digging.
>
> I don't think that Pavel believes himself to be in a hole.
>
> After setting up my .psqlrc file as I normally do, I could do this:
>
> :rtsize limit 10;
>
> But it doesn't have the 'MB' feature, and if I want to help someone
> else I first have to explain to them how to set their .psqlrc file the
> same as mine, which is rather a bummer.
>
> Is looking for the biggest tables a common enough thing that it should
> be available to everyone, without needing custom customization?

I am thinking so our psql interface is not complete without this
feature in this are. But, sure, it is my opinion only.

Everybody know command \dt and then should to learn only one char more
"s" or "r".

In this time, we use (in GoodData) patch, that change order for \dt+
from alphabet to size ordered. But it is too limited.

Regards

Pavel