Re: proposal - patch: psql - sort_by_size

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - patch: psql - sort_by_size
Date: 2019-09-13 07:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 12. 9. 2019 v 0:01 odesílatel Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <
alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> napsal:

> On 2019-Jul-31, Rafia Sabih wrote:
>
> > I had a look at this patch, seems like a useful thing to have.
>
> So the two initial questions for this patch are
>
> 1. Is this a feature we want?
> 2. Is the user interface correct?
>
> I think the feature is useful, and Rafia also stated as much. Therefore
> ISTM we're okay on that front.
>
> As for the UI, Fabien thinks the patch adopts one that's far too
> simplistic, and I agree. Fabien has proposed a number of different UIs,
> but doesn't seem convinced of any of them. One of them was to have
> "options" in the command,
> \dt+ [-o 1d,2a]
>

> Another idea is to use variables in a more general form. So instead of
> Pavel's proposal of SORT_BY_SIZE=on we could do something like
> SORT_BY=[list]
> where the list after the equal sign consists of predetermined elements
> (say SIZE, NAME, SCHEMA and so on) and indicates a specific column to
> sort by. This is less succint than Fabien's idea, and in particular you
> can't specify it in the command itself but have to set the variable
> beforehand instead.

for more generic design probably you need redesign psql report systems. You
cannot to use just ORDER BY 1,2 on some columns, but you need to produce
(and later hide) some content (for size).

So it can be unfunny complex patch. I finished sort inside pspg and I it
looks to be better solution, than increase complexity (and less
maintainability (due support old releases)).

Regards

Pavel