Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output
Date: 2020-07-04 03:27:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 3. 7. 2020 v 12:16 odesílatel Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Main motivation for this patch is working with psql for writing and
> editing queries, and browsing result in second terminal with pspg or any
> other similar tool (tail, ...). The advantage of this setup is possibility
> to see sql and query result together. I use terminal multiplicator (Tilix),
> but it can be used without it.
> >
> > So example with pspg (should be some fresh release)
> >
> > 1. create fifo used for communication - mkfifo ~/pipe
> >
> > 2. run in one terminal pspg - pspg -f ~/pipe --hold-stream=2
> >
> > 3. run psql in other terminal
>
> The patch looks interesting. As far as I understand the purpose of the
> patch is to hide status messages from result output.
> So maybe it would be enough just to hide status messages at all. There
> is the QUIET variable for that. The main advantage of this variable is
> that it hides a status of "\lo_" commands, for example, as well as a
> status of utility commands. So the QUIET variable covers more use
> cases already.

The quiet mode isn't exactly what I want (it can be used as a workaround -
and now, pspg https://github.com/okbob/pspg knows a format of status line
and can work it).

I would like to see a status row. For me it is a visual check so some
statements like INSERT or UPDATE was done successfully. But I would not
send it to the terminal with an active tabular pager.

Pavel