Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output

From: Artur Zakirov <zaartur(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - psql - possibility to redirect only tabular output
Date: 2020-07-03 10:16:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Main motivation for this patch is working with psql for writing and editing queries, and browsing result in second terminal with pspg or any other similar tool (tail, ...). The advantage of this setup is possibility to see sql and query result together. I use terminal multiplicator (Tilix), but it can be used without it.
>
> So example with pspg (should be some fresh release)
>
> 1. create fifo used for communication - mkfifo ~/pipe
>
> 2. run in one terminal pspg - pspg -f ~/pipe --hold-stream=2
>
> 3. run psql in other terminal

The patch looks interesting. As far as I understand the purpose of the
patch is to hide status messages from result output.
So maybe it would be enough just to hide status messages at all. There
is the QUIET variable for that. The main advantage of this variable is
that it hides a status of "\lo_" commands, for example, as well as a
status of utility commands. So the QUIET variable covers more use
cases already.

--
Artur