Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Prabakaran, Vaishnavi" <vaishnavip(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date: 2015-02-27 12:38:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

It looks well, I have only one objection.

I am not sure so function "hba_settings" should be in file guc.c - it has
zero relation to GUC.

Maybe hba.c file is better probably.

Other opinions?

> On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am sending a review of this patch.
>
> Thanks for the review. sorry for the delay.
>
> > 4. Regress tests
> >
> > test rules ... FAILED -- missing info about new view
>
> Thanks. Corrected.
>
> > My objections:
> >
> > 1. data type for "database" field should be array of name or array of
> text.
> >
> > When name contains a comma, then this comma is not escaped
> >
> > currently: {omega,my stupid extremly, name2,my stupid name}
> >
> > expected: {"my stupid name",omega,"my stupid extremly, name2"}
> >
> > Same issue I see in "options" field
>
> Changed including the user column also.
>
> > 2. Reload is not enough for content refresh - logout is necessary
> >
> > I understand, why it is, but it is not very friendly, and can be very
> > stressful. It should to work with last reloaded data.
>
> At present the view data is populated from the variable "parsed_hba_lines"
> which contains the already parsed lines of pg_hba.conf file.
>
> During the reload, the hba entries are reloaded only in the postmaster
> process
> and not in every backend, because of this reason the reloaded data is
> not visible until
> the session is disconnected and connected.
>
> Instead of changing the SIGHUP behavior in the backend to load the hba
> entries
> also, whenever the call is made to the view, the pg_hba.conf file is
> parsed to show
> the latest reloaded data in the view. This way it doesn't impact the
> existing behavior
> but it may impact the performance because of file load into memory every
> time.

your solution is ok, simply and clean. Performance for this view should not
be critical and every time will be faster than login as root and searching
pg_hba.conf

Regards

Pavel