Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2021-07-22 15:13:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 22. 7. 2021 v 16:49 odesílatel Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
napsal:

> Hello,
>
> > Minimally for PSQL_WATCH_PAGER, the pager should exit after some time,
> but
> > before it has to repeat data reading. Elsewhere the psql will hang.
>
> Sure. The "pager.pl" script I sent exits after reading a few lines.
>
> > can be solution to use special mode for psql, when psql will do write to
> > logfile and redirect to file instead using any (simplified) pager?
>
> I do not want a special psql mode, I just would like "make check" to tell
> me if I broke the PSQL_WATCH_PAGER feature after reworking the
> multi-results patch.
>
> > Theoretically, there is nothing special on usage of pager, and just you
> can
> > test redirecting to file.
>
> I do not follow. For what I seen the watch pager feature is somehow a
> little different, and I'd like to be sure I'm not breaking anything.
>
> For your information, pspg does not seem to like being fed two results
>
> sh> PSQL_WATCH_PAGER="pspg --stream"
> psql> SELECT NOW() \; SELECT RANDOM() \watch 1
>
> The first table is shown, the second seems ignored.

pspg cannot show multitable results, so it is not surprising. And I don't
think about supporting this. Unfortunately I am not able to detect this
situation and show some warnings, just because psql doesn't send enough
data for it. Can be nice if psql sends some invisible characters, that
allows synchronization. But there is nothing. I just detect the timestamp
line and empty lines.