Re: Converting plpgsql to use DTYPE_REC for named composite types

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting plpgsql to use DTYPE_REC for named composite types
Date: 2017-12-29 08:56:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I'll stick this into the January commitfest, but I'd like to get it
> reviewed and committed pretty soon, because there are follow-on patches
> that need to get done in time for v11 --- in particular, we need to close
> out the lack of plpgsql support for domains-over-composite.

I didn't checked code - just I did some performance tests and I am thinking
so performance is very good.

Master's record type has 50% speed of row type in my test. Patched has +/-
same speed.

I see very small slowdown for row type .. about 3% but I think so it is
acceptable - I tested some worst case.

Unfortunately - it breaks and very breaks all plpgsql related extensions -
pldebug, plprofiler, plpgsql_check. On second hand, there are only few
extensions of this kind.

Regards

Pavel