Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date: 2023-02-03 19:57:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 3. 2. 2023 v 20:42 odesílatel Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 9:56 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> one visitor of p2d2 (Prague PostgreSQL Developer Day) asked if it is
>> possible to show the current role in psql's prompt. I think it is not
>> possible, but fortunately (with some limits) almost all necessary work is
>> done, and the patch is short.
>>
>> In the assigned patch I implemented a new prompt placeholder %N, that
>> shows the current role name.
>>
>> (2023-02-03 15:52:28) postgres=# \set PROMPT1 '%n as %N at '%/%=%#
>> pavel as pavel at postgres=#set role to admin;
>> SET
>> pavel as admin at postgres=>set role to default;
>> SET
>> pavel as pavel at postgres=#
>>
>> Comments, notes are welcome.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pavel
>>

> This patch is cluttered with the BACKEND_PID patch and some guc_tables.c
> stuff that I don't think is related.

I was little bit lazy, I am sorry. I did it in one my experimental branch.
Both patches are PoC, and there are not documentation yet. I will separate
it.

> We'd have to document the %N.
>
> I think there is some value here for people who have to connect as several
> different users (tech support), and need a reminder-at-a-glance whether
> they are operating in the desired role. It may be helpful in audit
> documentation as well.

yes, I agree so it can be useful - it is not my idea - and it is maybe
partially deduced from some other databases.

Both patches are very simple - and they use almost already prepared
infrastructure.

Regards

Pavel