Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Date: 2023-02-03 19:41:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 9:56 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> one visitor of p2d2 (Prague PostgreSQL Developer Day) asked if it is
> possible to show the current role in psql's prompt. I think it is not
> possible, but fortunately (with some limits) almost all necessary work is
> done, and the patch is short.
>
> In the assigned patch I implemented a new prompt placeholder %N, that
> shows the current role name.
>
> (2023-02-03 15:52:28) postgres=# \set PROMPT1 '%n as %N at '%/%=%#
> pavel as pavel at postgres=#set role to admin;
> SET
> pavel as admin at postgres=>set role to default;
> SET
> pavel as pavel at postgres=#
>
> Comments, notes are welcome.
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

This patch is cluttered with the BACKEND_PID patch and some guc_tables.c
stuff that I don't think is related.

We'd have to document the %N.

I think there is some value here for people who have to connect as several
different users (tech support), and need a reminder-at-a-glance whether
they are operating in the desired role. It may be helpful in audit
documentation as well.