Re: Postgres DB hacked.

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yogesh Sharma <yogeshraj95(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres DB hacked.
Date: 2020-08-31 05:14:58
Lists: pgsql-general

po 31. 8. 2020 v 6:58 odesílatel Yogesh Sharma <yogeshraj95(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Dear All,
> Thanks for your support.
>
> We faced the below issue and our all DB backup data has lost.
>
> It seems Hacker deleted all the tables in the DB and created a single
> table called "warning". when I am trying to select this table so it's
> showing Error (relation "warning" does not exist). Hacker created one more
> database "please_read_me_xmg" with single 'warning' table.
>
> Could you please let us know how we can secure postgres DB from
> hackers.Although we have specified only one IP in pg_hba.conf file instead
> of all.

pg_hba.conf is not enough protection against SQL injection. Probably your
application is vulnerable against SQL injection.

The basic security mechanism is using more roles - one role like table,
database owner, second role(s) for applications. In this case the attacker
cannot change schema if compromite some application roles. You can use
another mechanism like - RLS - row line security, ...

Regards

Pavel