Re: proposal: schema variables

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: srielau <serge(at)rielau(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: schema variables
Date: 2017-11-01 04:15:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel,
>
> There is no
> DECLARE TEMP CURSOR
> or
> DECLARE TEMP variable in PLpgSQL
> and

sure .. DECLARE TEMP has no sense, I talked about similarity DECLARE and
CREATE TEMP

CREATE TEMP TABLE has a different meaning from what I understand you
> envision for variables.
>
> But maybe I'm mistaken. Your original post did not describe the entire
> syntax:
> CREATE [TEMP] VARIABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] name AS type
> [ DEFAULT expression ] [[NOT] NULL]
> [ ON TRANSACTION END { RESET | DROP } ]
> [ { VOLATILE | STABLE } ];
>
> Especially the TEMP is not spelled out and how its presence affects or
> doesn't ON TRANSACTION END.
> So may be if you elaborate I understand where you are coming from.

TEMP has same functionality (and implementation) like our temp tables - so
at session end the temp variables are destroyed, but it can be assigned to
transaction.