Re: Enabling parallelism for queries coming from SQL or other PL functions

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling parallelism for queries coming from SQL or other PL functions
Date: 2017-02-22 16:52:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Rafia Sabih
<rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> In the current version, queries in SQL or PL functions can not
> leverage parallelism. To relax this restriction I prepared a patch,
> the approach used in the patch is explained next,

Some initial comments.

----------
if (numberTuples || dest->mydest == DestIntoRel)
use_parallel_mode = false;

if (use_parallel_mode)
EnterParallelMode();
+ else if (estate->es_plannedstmt->parallelModeNeeded &&
+ (dest->mydest == DestSPI || dest->mydest == DestSQLFunction))
+ {
+ use_parallel_mode = true;
+ EnterParallelMode();
+ }

I think we can simplify this, can we replace above code with something
like this?

if (dest->mydest == DestIntoRel ||
numberTuples && (dest->mydest != DestSPI || dest->mydest !=
DestSQLFunction))
use_parallel_mode = false;

-------------

+ {
+ /* Allow parallelism if the function is not trigger type. */
+ if (estate->func->fn_is_trigger == PLPGSQL_NOT_TRIGGER)
+ exec_res = SPI_execute(querystr, estate->readonly_func,
CURSOR_OPT_PARALLEL_OK);
+ else
+ exec_res = SPI_execute(querystr, estate->readonly_func, 0);
+ }

The last parameter of SPI_execute is tuple count, not cursorOption,
you need to fix this. Also, this is crossing the 80 line boundary.

Any specific reason for not changing SPI_execute_with_args, EXECUTE
with USING will take this path.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar