Re: Make subquery alias optional in FROM clause

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make subquery alias optional in FROM clause
Date: 2017-02-22 17:03:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:08:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> writes:
> >> From time to time, especially during migration projects from Oracle to
> > PostgreSQL, i'm faced with people questioning why the alias in the FROM
> > clause for subqueries in PostgreSQL is mandatory. The default answer
> > here is, the SQL standard requires it.
>
> Indeed. When I wrote the comment you're referring to, quite a few years
> ago now, I thought that popular demand might force us to allow omitted
> aliases. But the demand never materialized. At this point it seems
> clear to me that there isn't really good reason to exceed the spec here.
> It just encourages people to write unportable SQL code.

I suspect most users, like me, just roll their eyes, grumble, and put up
with it rather than complain. It's a pain point, but tolerable enough
that no one bothers to demand a change. Now that it's been done though,
allow me to add my voice in favor of it!

> > The patch generates an auto-alias for subqueries in the format
> > *SUBQUERY_<RTI>* for subqueries and *VALUES_<RTI>* for values
> > expressions. <RTI> is the range table index it gets during
> > transformRangeSubselect().
>
> This is not a solution, because it does nothing to avoid conflicts with
> table names elsewhere in the FROM clause. If we were going to relax this
> --- which, I repeat, I'm against --- we'd have to come up with something
> that would thumb through the whole query and make sure what it was
> generating didn't already appear somewhere else. Or else not generate
> a name at all, in which case there simply wouldn't be a way to refer to
> the subquery by name; I'm not sure what that might break though.

On alias conflict... backtrack and retry with a new set of sub-query
names. For generating the alias names all you need is a gensym-style
counter. But yes, even this is tricky because you'd have to check that
the conflicting alias name is one of the gensym'ed ones.

Nico