Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal "VACUUM SCHEMA"
Date: 2014-12-21 21:30:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?Fabr=C3=ADzio_de_Royes_Mello?= <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I work with some customer that have databases with a lot of schemas and
> > sometimes we need to run manual VACUUM in one schema, and would be nice
> > have a new option to run vacuum in relations from a specific schema.
>
> I'm pretty skeptical of this alleged use-case. Manual vacuuming ought
> to be mostly a thing of the past, and even if it's not, hitting
> *everything* in a schema should seldom be an appropriate thing to do.

I agree manual vacuum is a thing of the past, but autovacuum doesn't solve
100% of the cases, and sometimes we need to use it so my proposal is just
do help DBAs and/or Sysadmins to write simple maintenance scripts.

> While the feature itself might be fairly innocuous, I'm just wondering
> why we need to encourage manual vacuuming.

IMHO we will not encourage manual vacuuming, just give more flexibility to
users.

> And why that, but not
> say schema-wide ANALYZE, CLUSTER, TRUNCATE, ...

+1. I can write patches for each of this maintenance statement too.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL