Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2022-11-21 09:30:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 3:43 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 4:20 PM John Naylor
> <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> > Assuming the smallest node is fixed size (i.e. fanout/capacity member
not part of the common set, so only part of variable-sized nodes), 3 has a
nice property: no wasted padding space:

> > node4: 5 + 4+(7) + 4*8 = 48 bytes
> > node3: 5 + 3 + 3*8 = 32
>
> IIUC if we store the fanout member only in variable-sized nodes,
> rt_node has only count, shift, and chunk, so 4 bytes in total. If so,
> the size of node3 (ie. fixed-sized node) is (4 + 3 + (1) + 3*8)? The
> size doesn't change but there is 1 byte padding space.

I forgot to mention I'm assuming no pointer-tagging for this exercise.
You've demonstrated it can be done in a small amount of code, and I hope we
can demonstrate a speedup in search. Just in case there is some issue with
portability, valgrind, or some other obstacle, I'm being pessimistic in my
calculations.

> Also, even if we have the node3 a variable-sized node, size class 1
> for node3 could be a good choice since it also doesn't need padding
> space and could be a good alternative to path compression.
>
> node3 : 5 + 3 + 3*8 = 32 bytes
> size class 1 : 5 + 3 + 1*8 = 16 bytes

Precisely! I have that scenario in my notes as well -- it's quite
compelling.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com