Re: Force lookahead in COPY FROM parsing

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Force lookahead in COPY FROM parsing
Date: 2021-03-18 15:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The cfbot thinks this patch no longer applies, but it works for me, so
still set to RFC. It looks like it's because the thread to remove the v2
FE/BE protocol was still attached to the commitfest entry. I've deleted
that, so let's see if that helps.

To answer the side question of whether it makes any difference in
performance, I used the blackhole AM [1] to isolate the copy code path as
much as possible. Forcing lookahead seems to not make a noticeable
difference (min of 5 runs):

master:
306ms

force lookahead: