Re: cutting down the TODO list thread

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cutting down the TODO list thread
Date: 2021-06-28 21:41:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here I'm just reviewing a couple items in the Sorting section:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Sorting

- Consider whether duplicate keys should be sorted by block/offset

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/23321.1205726381%40sss.pgh.pa.us

It's moot since we started requiring tid as a tiebreaker for btree indexes,
so I'll just remove this.

- Consider being smarter about memory and external files used during sorts

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1196186626.4246.1078.camel@ebony.site

We've had a large number of improvements in this area since 2007, and it
seems the ideas in this thread have mostly been done or superseded already.

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com