Re: Planet posting policy

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planet posting policy
Date: 2012-01-30 15:11:31
Lists: pgsql-www

Le 30 janvier 2012 15:57, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:50:20AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> >
>> > Are you sure that that wouldn't be allowed under our current policy?
>> > I'd have thought that was fine, provided that it was actually useful.
>>
>> It might have been under the policy itself, however we've been
>> interpreting that based on the guidance notes which are pretty strict,
>> and essentially only allow posts of a purely technical nature.
>
> I think the real risk we have in relaxing the rules is that postings
> will be made who's _intent_ is to highlight a commercial product.  Once
> the indent is commercial promotion, the blog itself isn't very
> interesting to others.
>
> We have succussfully blocked such postings --- the big question is
> whether we can allow postings based on commercial products without
> having postings that are "intended" to be promotional.
>
> I think Dave or Josh mention the pitfall tangentially --- if someone's
> intent is promotional, they might blog about how to do X with some
> commercial product, then, next week, show how to do Y with some
> commercial product.  Imagine them thinking, "Oh, I haven't blogged about
> my commercial product in a while, and the Postgres blog is very popular,
> let me think of how to do that again."
>
> I am not saying that will happen, but it might happen if we aren't as
> clear as we are now in the guidelines.  And if our rules are not as
> clear as they are now, we then have to guess what their intent was, and
> pick apart the blog post to get facts to support our interpretation.
>
> I think everyone kind of agrees our rules are too tight, but it is
> unclear how to relax them _clearly_.

I don't know exactly about rules but I am happy to read
planet.postgresql with the current contents (so the rules looks good
so far)
I won't if its to read about internals of close-source products or
derivate work from close-source product where removing the name of the
close-source thing is going to remove the interest of the article for
PostgreSQL and derivate open-source toools and projects.
Also I am not interested in content I won't be able to use because of
licence restriction. (not off-topic I believe)

Maybe the next time someone got a post refused he/she can be asked if
he agrees to be used to debate the rules change...

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/