Re: Easy language switching for the documentation website

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>, PostgreSQL WWW List <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Easy language switching for the documentation website
Date: 2011-07-08 22:48:36
Lists: pgsql-www

2011/7/8 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>
>> This thing relies upon the URLs being the same, right? So if we want
>> to do that, why do we need to fiddle with javascript - we could just
>> put links directly into the templates and have "real links" instead of
>> javascript, no?
>
> Yeah. I also wonder if it's a good idea to add so many "official"
> looking links to sites that we don't manage. We have spent a lot of
> time ensuring that our primary site is mirrored across multiple
> servers and is able to handle error conditions gracefully. I'd rather
> see the foreign language docs on the same servers, and also with the
> same stylesheets, banners and menus etc, to avoid confusing the user
> by sending them to a completely different site.

I fully agree here.

IMHO debian use the right way to do that:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/pr01.html

Add a .de or a .fr or .. at the end offer you the relevant page. By
default it is english, and by default it gets your browser language.
Nothing prevent us to have a list of supported language to help the
user navigate the documentation.

It should also be easy enough to write on the page when then
translation seems outdated (from file timestamp between original and
translated version for example), I didn't check but the issue is not
limited to PostgreSQL and I am pretty sure some open source projects
did find a good way to handle that).