Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms

From: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
To: Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>, Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date: 2018-05-29 11:07:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 29 May 2018 at 11:42, Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Is it worth spending thousands of person-hours converting what we have
>> into something different that happens to be de rigeur, and (especially)
>> using up many hours of our precious core developer time while they learn
>> the new methods, while not actually gaining functionality? Also, probably
>> not.
>>

> Unfortunately for me I have laready spend many hourse to replace build
> system by CMake and it's working fine for most cases (even for Power8 AIX
> and Spac Solaris).
> Already now you can build postgres for windows without terminal at all. At
> least I want to find good use for this development.

There is a good use for it: you use it and are happy with it. You don't
have to support any users for whom it doesn't work well, other users don't
have to spend their time on it.

I appreciate that it's nice to have everyone use your code, but sometimes
people don't want to. There are many projects I've spent weeks developing
code for a feature that I thought was the business, only to have the
maintainer and/or users say "no thanks": that's the spirit of open source.
Arguing with people and telling them that they're wrong or (as you appear
to be doing) that they're old and out of touch isn't going to make them any
more likely to want to use your code.

I notice that you ignored the two other paragraphs of my email. I
appreciate that you're finding this frustrating but selectively picking
like that rarely helps a discussion progress beyond point-scoring.

Geoff​