Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Date: 2023-05-18 23:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 18 May 2023 at 22:49, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes. You can
> see the output here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html
>
> I will adjust it to the feedback I receive; that URL will quickly show
> all updates.

I'm not sure if bugfixes like these are considered for release notes,
but I'm putting it up here just in case:

As of 8fcb32db (new, only in PG16) we now enforce limits on the size
of WAL records during construction, where previously we hoped that the
WAL records didn't exceed those limits.
This change is immediately user-visible through a change in behaviour
of `pg_logical_emit_message(true, repeat('_', 2^30 - 10), repeat('_',
2^30 - 10))`, and extensions that implement their own rmgrs could also
see a change in behavior from this change.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon, Inc.