Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h
Date: 2022-12-29 17:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 at 18:16, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2022-12-28 09:07:12 -0500, Isaac Morland wrote:
> > This is a bit of a bikeshed suggestion, but I'm wondering if you considered
> > calling it toast.h? Only because the word is so distinctive within
> > Postgres; everybody knows exactly to what it refers.
>
> We have a bunch of toast*.h files already. The new header should pretty much
> only contain the types, given how widely the header is going to be
> included. So maybe toast_type.h?

My 2 cents: I don't think that toast_anything.h is appropriate,
because even though the varatt infrastructure does enable
externally-stored oversized attributes (which is the essence of
TOAST), this is not the only (or primary) use of the type.

Example: Indexes do not (can not?) support toasted values, but
generally do support variable length attributes that would be pulled
in with varatt.h. I don't see why we'd call the headers of
variable-length attributes after one small - but not insignifcant -
use case.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent