Re: documentation structure

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation structure
Date: 2024-03-18 14:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 15:12, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

I'm not going into detail about the other docs comments, I don't have
much of an opinion either way on the mentioned sections. You make good
arguments; yet I don't usually use those sections of the docs but
rather do code searches.

> I don't know what to do about "I. SQL commands". It's obviously
> impractical to promote that to a top-level section, because it's got a
> zillion sub-pages which I don't think we want in the top-level
> documentation index. But having it as one of several unnumbered
> chapters interposed between 51 and 52 doesn't seem great either.

Could "SQL Commands" be a top-level construct, with subsections for
SQL/DML, SQL/DDL, SQL/Transaction management, and PG's
extensions/administrative/misc features? I sometimes find myself
trying to mentally organize what SQL commands users can use vs those
accessible to database owners and administrators, which is not
currently organized as such in the SQL Commands section.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)