Re: Logical Decoding Failover

From: Venkata Balaji N <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Colin Morelli <colin(dot)morelli(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical Decoding Failover
Date: 2016-08-07 05:50:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Colin Morelli <colin(dot)morelli(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm using logical decoding in my application to capture change streams and
> ship them to Kafka. However, logical replication slots aren't included in
> the WAL and thus don't make it to replicas. In the case of a failover, it's
> not clear what (if anything) can be done to continue receiving a change
> stream.
>
> I noticed there was a failover slot patch that looks like it won't be
> making it for 9.6 (if at all), but does anyone else have suggestions for
> handling failover + logical decoding? Is there an answer, or is it limited
> to being a very manual process for now?

Yes, as of i know, It is a manual process for now. Another alternative you
can consider (if possible at all) would be a tool like PgPool-II which is
actually used for connection pooling, load balancing and automatic
failover. It may not make sense if you are do not wish to pool you
connections.

Regards,
Venkata B N

Fujitsu Australia