Re: Avoid use deprecated Windows Memory API

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoid use deprecated Windows Memory API
Date: 2022-09-15 13:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em qui., 15 de set. de 2022 às 10:13, Alvaro Herrera <
alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> escreveu:

> On 2022-Sep-15, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>
> > Em qui., 15 de set. de 2022 às 09:50, Alvaro Herrera <
> > alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> escreveu:
>
> > > These functions you are patching are not in performance-sensitive code,
> > > so I doubt this makes any difference performance wise. I doubt
> > > Microsoft will ever remove these deprecated functions, given its
> history
> > > of backwards compatibility, so from that perspective this change does
> > > not achieve anything either.
> >
> > If users don't adapt to the new API, the old one will never really
> expire.
>
> If you are claiming that Microsoft will remove the old API because
> Postgres stopped using it, ... sorry, no.

Certainly not.
But Postgres should be an example.
By removing the old API, Postgres encourages others to do so.
So who knows, one day, the OS might finally get rid of this useless burden.

> > Neither the patch nor the thread deals with palloc.
>
> I know. Which is why I think the patch is useless.

Other hackers think differently, thankfully.

regards,
Ranier Vilela