Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Sarah Conway Schnurr <xenophenes42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial
Date: 2019-11-21 17:06:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> > I kind of like the "troubleshooting" section, but I am unsure where
> > to set the limit. What is there currently doesn't cover all
> > potential causes (e.g., connection via TCP, see Windows), but
> > being exhaustive is probably impossible and not even desirable.

Thank you for your feedback! I'll be glad even if some part of this patch
improves the getting started experience for novice users, so I can focus on
the install and troubleshooting first. I would limit troubleshooting to
those issues that might appear when we follow the tutorial. As you've
already mentioned, Windows is not covered right now, so once I add it, I
can add the Windows-specific connection issues too. However, if we cover
Windows, I think it's logical to include PGDG Linux packages as well.

> > On the one hand I can see this section as being helpful for the
> > host of people who are having problems connecting, on the other hand
> > the true beginner might have trouble understanding explanations
> > containing terms like "absolute path" and "Unix-domain sockets".
>
> As far as that goes, Corey's nearby proposal to add a glossary
> could be a great help. We could define such terms there, and
> make the tutorial's uses of them be hyperlinks. So maybe we
> should get that done first, and then come back to this?

I agree that having links to a glossary can be quite valuable. However, I
have some doubts about including each and every computer-related term -
should we keep it more DBMS-specific? As for the "absolute path" in
particular, I hope the example that follows clarifies things.

> > (Side remark: I think the spelling should be "UNIX domain sockets".)
>
> FWIW, I think we've used the first spelling in most places.
> Which is more "correct", I don't know, but I'm pretty sure
> that spelling Unix in all-caps has been out of fashion for
> a very long time.

Right, I've been following the spelling that seems to be widely used in
documentation. My preference is to use it without a hyphen, but then we'd
have to change the spelling everywhere in our docs.

--
Best regards,
Liudmila Mantrova

Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com