Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Sarah Conway Schnurr <xenophenes42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial
Date: 2019-11-20 15:13:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> I kind of like the "troubleshooting" section, but I am unsure where
> to set the limit. What is there currently doesn't cover all
> potential causes (e.g., connection via TCP, see Windows), but
> being exhaustive is probably impossible and not even desirable.

> On the one hand I can see this section as being helpful for the
> host of people who are having problems connecting, on the other hand
> the true beginner might have trouble understanding explanations
> containing terms like "absolute path" and "Unix-domain sockets".

As far as that goes, Corey's nearby proposal to add a glossary
could be a great help. We could define such terms there, and
make the tutorial's uses of them be hyperlinks. So maybe we
should get that done first, and then come back to this?

> (Side remark: I think the spelling should be "UNIX domain sockets".)

FWIW, I think we've used the first spelling in most places.
Which is more "correct", I don't know, but I'm pretty sure
that spelling Unix in all-caps has been out of fashion for
a very long time.