Handling psql lost connections

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Subject: Handling psql lost connections
Date: 2017-03-29 15:49:57
Lists: pgsql-general

When firewalls/VPNs stand between my psql client and a remote PostgreSQL
server the connection will on occasion time out and drop. This results in
the following scenario:

-Leave for lunch mid project - leave psql open.

-Return from lunch, complete and submit large query.

-Notice query is taking too long. cancel it.

-Cancel doesn't return - realize that connection has dropped.

-Kill psql - history is not written out. Start query from scratch.

Is there:

1) A way to set psql to send keepalives?

2) A way to gracefully kill psql ensuring that the history is saved?

Yes, I know I and my coworkers could spend brain cycles trying to
unerringly remember to close and restart connections, write all queries in
an external editor and then submit them, etc. but I'm looking for more user
friendly options.

Cheers,
Steve