Re: Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed
Date: 2019-02-17 22:20:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:57 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> On 2/12/19 3:06 AM, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
> > To me, there are 2 options:
> > - either, we change the "Tutorial" name of that chapter, so millenials
> > don't think they will find a step by step doc on how to install,
> > configure and connect to Postgres and add a tutorial page (the name can
> > be changed) on the postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org> website
>
> I don't know if we need to change the name as much as it needs some
> rewriting. Perhaps the whole section is simplified to a "getting
> started" that gets people to download, install, and run PostgreSQL in
> their desired environment, and then the basic commands to get started
> (which I think we do a decent job of that portion?)

I was just wondering about creating a "how to test a patch" Wiki page.
Something to point people at, instead of writing out this sort of
thing in emails:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D1P0WD_g%3DELNmBJFhwKuCjYZOi4p4rutKj3kw7QneLB2A%40mail.gmail.com

The "Tools Sets" part of our documentation already gives how-to style
"apt-get this and that" instructions for various OSes.

As for the people using Windows who want to contribute, it sounds like
we need to fix PostgreSQL so that it works when you build it on WSL
(based on a report I heard that it doesn't work if you do that today,
at least with Ubuntu on WSL). Then they could use the same super
short how-to-get-start guides as everyone else (I think the guide for
setting up native Windows development tools would be considerably
longer, since AFAIK you can't yet do something as easy as "apt-get foo
bar baz" and start hacking, but I don't know).

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com