Re: Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed
Date: 2019-02-14 23:57:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi Laetitia,

On 2/12/19 3:06 AM, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
> To me, there are 2 options:
> - either, we change the "Tutorial" name of that chapter, so millenials
> don't think they will find a step by step doc on how to install,
> configure and connect to Postgres and add a tutorial page (the name can
> be changed) on the postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org> website

I don't know if we need to change the name as much as it needs some
rewriting. Perhaps the whole section is simplified to a "getting
started" that gets people to download, install, and run PostgreSQL in
their desired environment, and then the basic commands to get started
(which I think we do a decent job of that portion?)

In my early days of using PostgreSQL, I remember this being in my
bookmarks for getting started:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-short.html

Perhaps we can also boil something down for the modern methods of
installation.

Also I would not necessarily say this is a "millennial" issue, I think
this extends to many new users of PostgreSQL who, in particular, may not
be as used to the command-line. (I also say that as someone who is
technically considered a millennial ;-)

> - either we change the first part "getting started" to add practical
> installation steps (but it might be redundant with the download page of
> postgresql.org <http://postgresql.org>), basic configuration (if needed,
> as how to open connection for your OS user, that kind of things) and how
> to connect with psql on several OS (Windows included).

+1. One thing to consider is that many people also use something like
pgAdmin (I've often heard people thing pgAdmin is PostgreSQL) which also
adds to the how people get started.

> I think we really need to take care of beginners who would like to
> install postgres on their laptop to "give it a try".

A section that was added as part of the website update last year and
subsequently poorly named by me was this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/online-resources/

Which contains a list of tutorials and other resources to help get
started with PostgreSQL. We could give this page a better name in the
hope that it helps people with more of the "getting started" pieces
until if/when we change the docs.

Thanks,

Jonathan