Re: ICU integration

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU integration
Date: 2016-09-28 20:06:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here is a patch I've been working on to allow the use of ICU for sorting
>> and other locale things.
>
> This is very interesting work, and it's great to see some development
> in this area. I've been peripherally involved in more than one
> collation-change-broke-my-data incident over the years. I took the
> patch for a quick spin today. Here are a couple of initial
> observations.

This seems like a solid start, but there are unresolved questions
about both high level goals (versioning strategy etc) and also some
technical details with this WIP patch. It looks like several people
have an interest and ideas in this area, but clearly there isn't going
to be a committable patch in the next 48 hours. So I will set this to
'Returned with Feedback' for now. If you think you'll have a new
patch for the next CF then it looks like you can still 'Move to Next
CF' from 'Returned with Feedback' state if appropriate. Thanks!

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com