Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures
Date: 2018-01-24 09:57:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> If there were some way for the postmaster to cause reason
> PROCSIG_PARALLEL_MESSAGE to be set in the leader process instead of
> just notification via kill(SIGUSR1) when it fails to fork a parallel
> worker, we'd get (1) for free in any latch/CFI loop code. But I
> understand that we can't do that by project edict.

Based on the above observation, here is a terrible idea you'll all
hate. It is pessimistic and expensive: it thinks that every latch
wake might be the postmaster telling us it's failed to fork() a
parallel worker, until we've seen a sign of life on every worker's
error queue. Untested illustration code only. This is the only way
I've come up with to discover fork failure in any latch/CFI loop (ie
without requiring client code to explicitly try to read either error
or tuple queues).

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
fork-failure-detection-idea.patch application/octet-stream 3.2 KB