Re: Shared Memory: How to use SYSV rather than MMAP ?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "EMPEREUR-MOT, SYLVIE" <sylvie(dot)empereur-mot(at)atos(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Shared Memory: How to use SYSV rather than MMAP ?
Date: 2019-02-03 11:56:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 12:49 AM Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> I am planning to commit the 0001 patch shortly, unless there are
> objections. I attach a new version, which improves the documentation
> a bit (cross-referencing the new GUC and the section on sysctl
> settings). That will give us shared_memory_type = sysv.

Committed 0001.

I also tweaked the notes for both FreeBSD and NetBSD where we mention
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys to clarify that this refers only to System V
shared memory (before this commit, those notes were arguably a bit
misleading).

I noticed in passing that the comments about jails and System V shared
memory are out of date (the key namespace situation changed in FreeBSD
11), but I'll look into that another day.

I've moved the CF entry to the next Commitfest, since we still have to
fix up and commit the 0002 patch for AIX.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com