Re: Checksums by default?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checksums by default?
Date: 2017-01-26 01:58:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> Sadly, without having them enabled by default, there's not a huge corpus
> of example cases to draw from.
>
> There have been a few examples already posted about corruption failures
> with PG, but one can't say with certainty that they would have been
> caught sooner if checksums had been enabled.

I don't know how comparable it is to our checksum technology, but
MySQL seems to have some kind of checksums on table data, and you can
find public emails, blogs etc lamenting corrupted databases by
searching Google for the string "InnoDB: uncompressed page, stored
checksum in field1" (that's the start of a longer error message that
includes actual and expected checksums).

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com