Re: Checksums by default?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checksums by default?
Date: 2017-01-26 01:28:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter,

* Peter Geoghegan (pg(at)heroku(dot)com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> > I understand that my experience with storage devices is unusually
> > narrow compared to everyone else here. That's why I remain neutral on
> > the high level question of whether or not we ought to enable checksums
> > by default. I'll ask other hackers to answer what may seem like a very
> > naive question, while bearing what I just said in mind. The question
> > is: Have you ever actually seen a checksum failure in production? And,
> > if so, how helpful was it?
>
> I'm surprised that nobody has answered my question yet.
>
> I'm not claiming that not actually seeing any corruption in the wild
> due to a failing checksum invalidates any argument. I *do* think that
> data points like this can be helpful, though.

Sadly, without having them enabled by default, there's not a huge corpus
of example cases to draw from.

There have been a few examples already posted about corruption failures
with PG, but one can't say with certainty that they would have been
caught sooner if checksums had been enabled.

Thanks!

Stephen