Re: PATCH: Exclude unlogged tables from base backups

From: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Exclude unlogged tables from base backups
Date: 2018-01-29 20:45:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> On 1/29/18 9:13 AM, David Steele wrote:
>> On 1/29/18 5:28 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>>> But I
>>> have a question; can we exclude temp tables as well? The pg_basebackup
>>> includes even temp tables. But I don't think that it's necessary for
>>> backups
>> Thank you for having another look at the patch.
>>
>> Temp tables should be excluded by this code which is already in
>> basebackup.c:
>>
>> /* Skip temporary files */
>> if (strncmp(de->d_name,
>> PG_TEMP_FILE_PREFIX,
>> strlen(PG_TEMP_FILE_PREFIX)) == 0)
>> continue;
>>
>> This looks right to me.
>

> Whoops, my bad. Temp relations are stored in the db directories with a
> "t" prefix. Looks like we can take care of those easily enough but I
> think it should be a separate patch.
>
> I'll plan to submit that for CF 2018-03.

I agree, I believe this should be a separate patch.

As for the latest patch above, I have reviewed, applied and tested it.

It looks good to me. As well, it applies cleanly against master at
(97d4445a03). All tests passed when running 'check-world'.

If it is agreed that the temp file exclusion should be submitted as a
separate patch, then I will mark 'ready for committer'.

-Adam