Re: Uh, I change my mind about commit_delay + commit_siblings (sort of)

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uh, I change my mind about commit_delay + commit_siblings (sort of)
Date: 2012-06-28 21:32:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28 June 2012 22:22, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> All in all, I don't think this can be a very productive discussion
> unless someone just pitches a equal or better name overall in terms of
> conciseness and descriptiveness.  I'd rather optimize for those
> attributes.  Old advice is old; that's the nature of the beast.

Robert suggested wal_flush_delay, which does more accurately describe
what happens now.

Old advice is old, but we frequently go to reasonable lengths to
protect users from making predictable mistakes. The position that we
shouldn't change the name might make sense if there was any downside
to doing so, but there isn't.