Re: More than one Cluster on single server (single instance)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Daulat <daulat(dot)dba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More than one Cluster on single server (single instance)
Date: 2022-07-18 09:46:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Le lun. 18 juil. 2022 à 09:55, Daulat <daulat(dot)dba(at)gmail(dot)com> a écrit :

> Hello Team,
>
> We are planning to create multiple clusters on a single server (single
> instance) with PostgreSQL V.10 to run multiple applications.

Planning to create a database cluster on a release 10 sounds already like a
bad idea, as release 10 will be maintained till november. After November
2022, no more bug fixes for this release. You really should use a more
recent release.

I don't know if it is a good idea to use a single machine to run n clusters
> but we are looking to minimize the cost of servers and other resources.
>
> Please share your thoughts on this approach?

It would make things easier for you to use a single cluster, and as many
databases as you want in this cluster.

> How can we create multiple clusters under a single postgres version?

Mostly depends on your operating system, and on how you installed
PostgreSQL in the first place. The usual answer would be to run initdb for
each cluster.

How can we identify/allocate the resources to parameters like
> shared_buffers, effective_cache_size, work_mem etc in case of multiple
> clusters?

That's the hard part if you have many clusters. You will have to determine
by yourself how much memory each cluster will need. If you use only one
cluster (and many databases in it), you would use the usual formula to set
these parameters.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.