Re: BUG #15971: Behaviour of SUBSTR function depending on its arguments

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15971: Behaviour of SUBSTR function depending on its arguments
Date: 2019-08-21 09:09:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I don't think it's a bug. I think it's just that the SUBSTR in
PostgreSQL is more SQL compliant than any other databases that you
mentioned. As per the SQL standard, if the start position is zero or
negative number, it should be adjusted to the start of the string and
not to the end of the string and that way I feel the behaviour of
SUBSTR in PostgreSQL is more SQL compliant than other databases.
That's my opinion though, let's see what others have to say on it.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma