Re: Test-cases for deferred constraints in plpgsql_transaction.sql

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Test-cases for deferred constraints in plpgsql_transaction.sql
Date: 2018-07-02 15:11:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 3:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut
>> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I won't say we don't need more tests, but I don't see a particular
>>> testing gap in this area.
>
>> I am not saying that the existing test-case is not enough to test
>> deferred constraints but, it would have been good to add test-cases
>> having ROLLBACK statements with deferred constraints as well.
>
> What exactly would that test, other than that ROLLBACK discards changes?
> Which is a point that seems to me to be pretty well covered already.

Firstly, it would test if the ROLLBACK works as expected when used
with the deferred constraints in plpgsql procedures. Secondly, it
would test if the COMMIT/ROLLBACK works as expected for deferrable
constraints which was initially immediate type but, later it got set
to deferred using SET CONSTRAINTS command. I just raised this point
because i couldn't find such test anywhere in plpgsl_transaction.sql
file. Please let me know if i am missing something here. Thanks.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma