Re: rows estimate in explain analyze for the BRIN index

From: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
To: Oleksii Kliukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rows estimate in explain analyze for the BRIN index
Date: 2016-01-03 12:17:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But is it? Is it impossible for the BRIN bitmap index scan to return 0 rows
> (say, if the value being matched is outside the min/max boundary for every
> block range?) Granted, if we document that it always returns 0 and should be
> ignored, then confusing the actual 0 with the 0 as a representation of
> “unknown” would be less a problem.

How about -1 ? It is an impossible value for sure. Maybe we should
change BitmapAnd and BitmapOr nodes, too. It is better to make it
obvious that it is not the correct value. I don't think many people
would notice the note on the documentation.

On the other hand, returning -1 broke parser of explain.depesz.com [1].

[1] http://explain.depesz.com/s/tAkd