s/xlog/wal/ in tools and function names?

From: Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: s/xlog/wal/ in tools and function names?
Date: 2016-12-01 15:29:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've found myself wondering "where is my xlog" after running
pg_switch_xlog() in 10.0.

Renaming pg_xlog to pg_wal created inconsistency between tools, function
names and directory name on disk.

Should we also:

- rename pg_switch_xlog and friends to pg_switch_wal?
- rename pg_recievexlog to pg_revievewal (and others in bin/)?
- rename pg_xlogdump to pg_waldump?
- if we do rename, should we keep aliases for functions and symlinks for
tools?
- anything else?

--
Vladimir Rusinov
Storage SRE, Google Ireland

Google Ireland Ltd.,Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland
Registration Number: 368047