pg_fallocate

From: Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_fallocate
Date: 2013-10-31 13:16:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'l like to add fallocate() system call to improve sequential read/write
peformance. fallocate() system call is different from posix_fallocate()
that is zero-fille algorithm to reserve continues disk space. fallocate()
is almost less overhead alogotithm to reserve continues disk space than
posix_fallocate().

It will be needed by sorted checkpoint and more faster vacuum command in
near the future.

If you get more detail information, please see linux manual.

I go sight seeing in Dublin with Ishii-san now:-)

Regards,

--

Mitsumasa KONDO

NTT Open Source Software

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_fallocate_v0.patch application/octet-stream 3.6 KB