Re: pg_fallocate

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_fallocate
Date: 2013-10-31 18:02:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Mitsumasa KONDO
<kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'l like to add fallocate() system call to improve sequential read/write
> peformance. fallocate() system call is different from posix_fallocate() that
> is zero-fille algorithm to reserve continues disk space. fallocate() is
> almost less overhead alogotithm to reserve continues disk space than
> posix_fallocate().
>
> It will be needed by sorted checkpoint and more faster vacuum command in
> near the future.
>

> If you get more detail information, please see linux manual.
>
> I go sight seeing in Dublin with Ishii-san now:-)

Our last attempts to improve performance in this area died in a fire
when it turned out that code that should have been an improvement fell
down over inexplicable ext4 behavior. I think, therefore, that
extensive benchmarking of this or any other proposed approach is
absolutely essential.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company