Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: Hendrik Visage <hvjunk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-14 09:24:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm not sure the last time I saw this discussion, but I was somewhat
> curious: what would be your ideal Linux distribution for a nice solid
> PostgreSQL installation? We've kinda bounced back and forth between RHEL,
> CentOS, and Ubuntu LTS, so I was wondering what everyone else thought.

Find the one that suits *you* (or rather your employer/client) and use that
;)

We can debate the pros and cons of each and every distro, and in the end
it'll be the one that suits your (or your client/employer's) needs and
makes you (or your client/employer) happy that'll win the battle.

In the bigger enterprises, RHEL and SuSE typically wins.
As you go down the Centos/Fedora/Ubuntu/Debians start to become more
prevalent (license costs etc.)

The questions you'll need to ask and investigate:
1) Do I want license/support that I can pay somebody to look into my OS
troubles?
2) How "active" is the community for this distro?
3) Which distros are the people around you using? (ie.
replacement/backups/etc.)
4) Do you want bleeding/leading/stable/old releases?
5) Can you compile from source for this?
6) What OSes are your hosting/etc. supporting? (for the servers on the net
out there)
7) Am I/company/client happy with this choice?