Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Hendrik Visage <hvjunk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-14 16:34:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 14/01/13 22:24, Hendrik Visage wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Shaun Thomas
> <sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com <mailto:sthomas(at)optionshouse(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm not sure the last time I saw this discussion, but I was
> somewhat curious: what would be your ideal Linux distribution for
> a nice solid PostgreSQL installation? We've kinda bounced back and
> forth between RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu LTS, so I was wondering
> what everyone else thought.
>

> Find the one that suits *you* (or rather your employer/client) and use
> that ;)
>
> We can debate the pros and cons of each and every distro, and in the
> end it'll be the one that suits your (or your client/employer's) needs
> and makes you (or your client/employer) happy that'll win the battle.
>
> In the bigger enterprises, RHEL and SuSE typically wins.
> As you go down the Centos/Fedora/Ubuntu/Debians start to become more
> prevalent (license costs etc.)
>
> The questions you'll need to ask and investigate:
> 1) Do I want license/support that I can pay somebody to look into my
> OS troubles?
> 2) How "active" is the community for this distro?
> 3) Which distros are the people around you using? (ie.
> replacement/backups/etc.)
> 4) Do you want bleeding/leading/stable/old releases?
> 5) Can you compile from source for this?
> 6) What OSes are your hosting/etc. supporting? (for the servers on the
> net out there)
> 7) Am I/company/client happy with this choice?

In essence...

It is that most irritating replies a highly paid consultant can give:
"It depends!"

You have to decide what are the important criteria for your situation,
the above list is a good starting point. I would add 'security" &
'performance' requirements. I am well aware, that if I had attempted to
provide a list, that I would have missed some of the questions Shaun
raised. I am sure other people can add good questions as well.

A lot depends on your actual situation, and your intended use cases.

In a few months, I may have to go through the same exercise for real. :-(

Cheers,
Gavin