Re: Running pg_dump from a slave server

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running pg_dump from a slave server
Date: 2016-08-17 03:31:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:34 AM Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm using PostgreSQL 9.2 and I got one master and one slave with streaming
> replication.
>
> Currently, I got a backup script that runs daily from the master, it
> generates a dump file with 30GB of data.
>
> I changed the script to start running from the slave instead the master,
> and I'm getting this errors now:
>
> pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "invoices" failed: PQgetResult()
>> failed.
>> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: canceling statement due to
>> conflict with recovery
>> DETAIL: User was holding a relation lock for too long.

Looks like while your pg_dump sessions were trying to fetch the data,
someone fired a DDL or REINDEX or VACUUM FULL on the master database.

> Isn't that possible? I can't run pg_dump from a slave?

Well you can do that, but it has some limitation. If you do this quite
often, it would be rather better to have a dedicated standby for taking
backups/pg_dumps. Then you can set max_standby_streaming_delay and
max_standby_archiving_delay to -1. But I would not recommend doing this if
you use your standby for other read queries or for high availability.

Another option would be avoid such queries which causes Exclusive Lock on
the master database during pg_dump.

Cheers

> Patrick

Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
*ASHNIK PTE. LTD.*

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350

Skype: sameer.ashnik | www.ashnik.com