Re: [RFC] Add an until-0 loop in psql

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pierre(dot)ducroquet(at)people-doc(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add an until-0 loop in psql
Date: 2018-04-28 19:25:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I did it too. It is not too hard - there was not a agreement on syntax.
>
> can be nice some like CTE
>
> WITH PROCEDURE x(a int, b int) AS ... $$ SELECT x(10);

I've seen "WITH function...." syntax in Oracle (here's an example:
https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/with-clause-enhancements-12cr1) , but
I can see where we'd run into trouble with SELECT statements being atomic,
and the PROCEDURE being transactional. If we only allowed a one-line SELECT
that problem would go away, but that raises the question of whether SELECT
is the right keyword for the job. Is there something in the SQL standard
for that?

Either way, we're clearly talking about something to add to postgres, not
psql itself, and we should split this conversation to another thread. Sorry
for hijacking your thread, Pierre.